Glenstocken holiday cottages are situated on the coast in the county of Dumfries and Galloway which is a beautiful part of south-west Scotland, with coasts, mountains and activities all within an easy reach of Glenstocken holiday cottages, most are on the doorstep others are a short drive away, click links to see more about these selected activities.
Galloway Holiday Fun for all the Family: Activities
Activity locations where you can experience local crafts and experience great days out entertaining the whole family at activity centres where you can learn and play.
- Cream of Galloway An adventure playground that is also an award-winning local ice-cream maker.
- Cocoa Bean Factory Make chocolate good enough for John Lewis and enjoy the adventure playground
- Farmers Den A soft play centre at an open farm, to visit it at Mabie click this link here.
Galloway Dark Skies
Galloway is one of the best places to see the night sky through its dark skies project, which has reduced the light pollution which surrounds most of the UK, so you can see the night sky more clearly: click here to learn more Galloway Astronomical Centre or see Galloway night sky
Mountain Biking in Galloway
- 7 Stanes is a series of 7 award-winning mountain biking routes with Dalbeattie 7Stanes on our doorstep.
- 7 Stanes Mabie Forest is a short journey along the coast, click link 7 Stanes Mabie
- Looking to Mountain Bike near Glenstocken holiday cottages then click this link: where to mountain bike locally.
- Keep up to date with mountain biking in Galloway click this link here
Golf Courses Dumfries & Galloway
- Colvend Golf Course – 18 hole course, partly designed by Peter Allis is 5,341 yards
- Southerness Golf Course – 18 hole links championship course: 6,566 yard course, par 73
- Dalbeattie 18 hole course – Dalbeattie golf club 5,710 par 68 course.
- Craigieknowes 3 par golf course – fun local short course outside Kippford
- Castle Douglas Golf Club – 18 hole course at Castle Douglas 5,408 yards, par 68.
- Cally Palace 18 hole course at the Cally Hotel, is a beautiful setting to play golf
- Solway Links 9 and 18 hole, 4,710 yards, par 66
- Park of Tongland Golf Club – set just outside Kirkcudbright is Tongland Golf Club
- Kirkcudbright Golf Club – a beautiful golf course in stunning Kirkcudbright
- Dumfries and Galloway Golf Club – a great golf course in Dumfries
- Crichton Golf Club – a golf club at Dumfries
- Dumfries and County Golf Club – The counties premier golf course.
- For more details on local golf courses click UK Golf Guide Dumfries and Galloway
- Gutcher’s Isle is our own private beach on the farm, very sheltered and protected beach by the island itself.
- Rockcliffe Beach is a beautiful beach with a small village huddled around it less than a mile from Glenstocken farm
- Sandyhills Beach is a huge mile long stretch of sandy beach a couple of miles from Glenstocken farm
Seasonal Events in Dumfries & Galloway
Sailing on the Solway
Kippford Yacht Club just a couple of miles along the coast is the sailing village of Kippford.
Towns in Dumfries & Galloway
- Dalbeattie the granite town is 5 miles from Glenstocken with many local shops and facilities, and see Dalbeattie information website.
- Castle Douglas Galloway’s food town is a great day out for local food shopping.
- Kirkcudbright is a major centre for arts and crafts, history and good restaurants.
- Dumfries the regional centre, with a range of shops and many facilities such as cinema, swimming pool and restaurants.
- There are a host of other beautiful villages and towns around Galloway local ones worth a visit include, Kippford, Palnackie, Gatehouse of Fleet, Newton Stewart, New Galloway, among many other, click here for map.
Castles and Historic Places to Visit iN Dumfries & Galloway
- Drumlanrig Castle, The ancient seat of the Douglas family surrounded by 120,000 acre Queensberry estate, gardens country park: click link to Drumlanrig Castle
- Caerlaverock Castle,Dumfries beautiful castle historic castle with siege warfare exhibition, adventure park and nature trail at Caerlaverock Castle
- Cardoness Castle, a historic six-story tower house dating back to 15th century with views over the fleet Cardoness Castle
- Threave Castle is a 14th century castle of the Douglas family just outside Castle Douglas surrounded by a moat click Threave Castle.
Click here to see and download Scotland’s iconic castles PDF: Scottish Castles PDF
Wildlife in Dumfries & Galloway
- Bainlock Deer Park is an excellent park to see all species of deer from Red to Sitka.
- Galloway Wildlife Park one of many wildlife parks where you can see many rare animals and plants.
- or just look out of any window at Glenstocken to see deer, badger, red squirrels, pheasants and much more.
For more to do while staying at Glenstocken self catering holiday cottages in Dumfries and Galloway click the Dumfries and Galloway: What to see and do in Dumfries and Galloway